Friday, July 20, 2012

Coat rack

There is no such a thing as too many coat racks!
I found this one for $1 and it had to come home with me! 
After a good cleaning and scrub, it was time to do some magic.
I debated how to transform it.
Paint? Chalk paint? Mod podge? Stain?
I have never distressed anything (or anyone...as far as I know), so I wanted to give it a try. Also, I am going to put this in our entryway, and use it as "frameless art" (I'll show you what I mean by that...just a second...).
So I decided to use chalkboard paint, so I can write things on it...you know "hang it here!", "Welcome!", "Kids' art $5"... ;-)
the paint here is still drying
And here are some pictures of the distressed areas




 Now, this is what I am talking about when I say "frameless art".
Four leftovers curtains hooks, homemade art from my 2 and (almost) 4 years old

  and there you have it!
My girls LOVE to draw!

Total cost of Coat rack $1
Cost of your children's drawings, priceless!


Stay Frugal,
Daniela

Linking to

17 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Daniela, what a cute way to display kids' artwork! Thanks for sharing the idea!

Lynn Wood said...

Wow I really like how you distressed that piece. Glad to hear your not so good a distressing people ;)

Revi said...

Hi Dani,
love your idea of frameless art! I miss artwork like that in my house. You did so well on the distressing. :) Not too much. :P)
-Revi

Cristina Garay said...

I haven't distressed anything so far, but seeing such good results all around blog land, I'm so ready to try on some chalk paint! I love how ingeniously you used those curtain rings!

Kelly said...

That project turned out so cute. I like the idea of hanging artwork on a coat rack. When your kids are young, it's such a nice way to show off their artwork! My kids have always enjoyed drawing too.

Donna Wilkes said...

Came over from Overflowing. I distressed just about everything. Love this idea for hanging art!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Sherry said...

Oh Daniela, what a lovely way to display your children art work!

Melissa@TheHappierHomemaker said...

Ooooh, very cool! I have a similar rack in my garage waiting for a makeover but mine has a shelf on top. I love the way yours turned out, thanks for sharing the process!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Great idea for your frameless art. Too cute! And you sure go a deal for a buck. Visiting you from Debbie-Doos

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, that is cute and look at my grand girls' art work. Cute.

Debbiedoos said...

Oh that is adorable Daniela. You done good for your first time distressing. I love chalkboard paint too. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Cute, cute, cute! Such a great idea!! :)

Unknown said...

What a fabulous way to display all my buttons art work! Thank you for the inspiration!
Denise@ buttonsandwhimsy.com

Shannon said...

How sweet is this? I bet your girls feel so good when you display their work like this. Nicely done!

Stephanie said...

Nice distressing job and what a creative use for it. Very clever.

Katherine said...

Love how you display the artwork on the coat rack! It looks great!

My Dream Canvas said...

This looks so cool. I am hosting a Giveway to win win a 50 dollar gift card to the store Homegoods. Do visit my blog if you would like to enter. Thanks Anu