Monday, July 9, 2012

Raffia and Oatmeal

Raffia and oatmeal is not what I had for breakfast...although it would make for an unusually packed fiber meal!
But I did have oatmeal, one of my favorite breakfast at all times...the old fashion kind, with butter, heavy cream and brown sugar!
So I can assure you I have PLENTY of oatmeal canisters!
Here is how I used it to create a rich textured vase.
Start with two oatmeal containers
take the plastic lid off, rip the paper cover off and put it in recycle bin ;)
Remove the bottom from one canister. It will look like an extra large used toilet paper roll. Use heavy duty tape to connect the canisters from the inside (the canister with the bottom goes on the bottom...just trying to be detailed).
I used my trustworthy hot glue gun and raffia I had from who knows where, and start gluing on the canisters starting from the bottom.
Same concept of my twine bottles project.
Raffia is a very forgiving material...it looks "messy" by nature.
Here is side by side with other canisters of unopened oatmeal.

Put some rocks in a plastic bag, seal and put inside your new tall vase. This will help give your vase some weight.
Add bamboo, reed or similar material, and enjoy your new vase.

Stay Frugal,
--and eat more oatmeal!--

19 comments:

Kelly said...

Did you come up with this on your own? You come up with the most creative crafts! That is cute! I bet you could use twine around those containers too. I like the summery look it has.

Katherine said...

Looks cool! I enjoy oatmeal as well. Hope you'll share this & any other projects you like at my link party: http://kraftykat76.blogspot.com/2012/07/gettin-krafty-with-it.html.

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Great idea! I got bamboo to put in a large vase when a craft store went out of business, but I have never found a giant vase that's cheap enough to go with it. Now I can make it myself!

I'm hosting my first linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

Jemmmma said...

Hey Daniela! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! This post is great. I love to see posts about repurposing "useless" items that would otherwise get trashed. Your vase looks like you spent good money on it at Homegoods! Thanks for stopping by. I am your newest follower! I'm off to peruse more of your blog. Nice to meet you!
Jeannie

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

This project may just lead me to eat more oatmeal! Super cute!

Unknown said...

This is great! Im so glad you stopped by so that I could find you. I will be doing something similar to this with leftover wedding materials - genius!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

My kids love oatmeal...better start saving the containers :) Laurel

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

Love this idea! I have a ton of saved canisters similar to the oatmeal that I don't know what I'm going to do with.

Carolyn said...

Besides the fact that I LOVE this project, I've given you the Liebster Award! http://kamsmomusa.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-award.html

The Style Sisters said...

This is great!! I love how tall it is!! So fun...Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday!
Karin

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

That's thinking outside the oatmeal box! Fantastic idea. You are so clever! I'll have to think of where I could use this.
Liz

Cristina Garay said...

What a creative idea!! I love it!

Wild Oak Designs said...

How did you think of that? Do you store empties like oatmeal ? I always throw them away after I look at and say, " I am sure there is something I can do with that...." Love your ideas!
Nancy

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from the Frugal girls. Wow! What a great vase! I cant believe its two oatmeal containers. Im pinning this so I can make my own soon. Thanks for such a great idea!

If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party.. it just opened! :)

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

Wow, that is clever! And so stylish!

Kammy's Korner said...

THANK YOU!!!! We got through a lot of oatmeal and EVERY STINKIN' TIME one is empty I feel bad throwing away the container because I just KNOW there is some way I should be upcycling it - this is PERFECT! :)

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

What a great way to use up the canisters, and since I love raffia, I love how you decorated them! I use it a lot in the autumn, but I've never used it this way. Thanks for the inspiration!
Debbie :)

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I hate throwing away perfectly useful containers. Thanks for the repurposing inspiration from one blogger to the other.
-Ali from TheMamasGirls
Stop by and comment anytime.

Unknown said...

I thought I was so creative when I saved up my oatmeal canisters planning to do the project you already did! It looks great.