Monday, December 19, 2016

Chairs Rehab

Today I will share my chairs rehab story.
It kind of happen when I was not looking to replace our dining chairs.
But you know the moment you see something and you think 
"I like that!".
And the moment you realize that something is not expensive and sometime even free?
I know.
My usual reaction is
"SCORE!!"

So back to the chairs...I'll spare you the pictures of the completely before.
But this is the picture of the back of one seat.

The top part was a mixture of molded chair padding covered in (what it looked like) a plastic tablecloth stapled to hold the entire thing down.

Now believe me when I say I used a mask and plastic gloves once I realized what I was dealing with.

Not pretty.

I managed to remove all four seats.

I traced one of the old wooden seat unto 2 cabinet doors, that were removed from our kitchen over 10 years ago.
Yes, my first thought back then was "one day this might come handy"...and they did.

I used a jig saw to carefully cut the seats.
Next was a thoroughly cleaning job of the chair skeleton.
The cleaning involved vinegar AND bleach.
All while wearing gloves.
Maybe I was being over zealous...

I even let them dry in the sun.

Next day,
I did it again.

See, 
I was being over zealous.

Then I decided to give it a light sanding of the entire chair.
I didn't want to get the stain off, nor the color variations in the wood,
 but I wanted to lightly sand it off for a smoother "look".

I then sanded the new seats and decided to paint them black.

Mainly because our table is black, and the 2 end table chairs (which are different than these 4) are painted the same black.
I wanted to tie everything together.

I attached the new seats this morning.
All ready and done before Christmas.



So Merry Christmas everyone!

Stay Frugal,
Daniela

6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Great job, Dani! I hope they are comfortable, too. Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family-- xo Diana

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
WOW, you receive a big, KILLER HUG for this incredible job!
Love them so much and they look so perfect in style with the rest.
You are a girl with two golden hands and a genius brain.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hugs,
Mariette

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The chairs look amazing and you managed to beautifully colour coordinate them to your table while keeping some beautiful wood showing. Great job!

Junkchiccottage said...

Great re love of these chairs Dani. Super duper job. Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Kris

Carla from The River said...

Merry Christmas!!
As always, great work!! I love the look.
Looking forward to more fun projects from you in 2017!
We are enjoying our compost idea you shared. :-)
I always learn something fun on your blog.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Carla

Libby said...

Waste not, want not! You've definitely put to use every scrap left behind. The chairs look like a great addition to your table. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!